Friday, September 9, 2011

CHEBUCTO tangle instructions

Halifax from the air (Wikipedia)
The Atlantic Ocean is at the top.
In 1749 King George II of England sent ships and settlers across the Atlantic to Chebucto Bay in Nova Scotia, Canada. The name comes from the Mi'kmaq (first nation) Chebooktook or Jipugtug meaning 'big harbour''. 
Today it's known as Halifax Harbour.

 
Chebucto Coffee Halifax, NS, Canada
While visiting our daughter in Halifax
last May we visited a lovely coffee shop on Chebucto Road a few blocks from her home. Of course, it was called Chebucto Coffee.









In that coffee shop there was a pattern on the wall, a pattern that I really liked and quickly sketched, but I couldn't get things to line up properly. I worked on it a bit, then moved on to other things. Recently I took another shot at it and a lightbulb went on!

Here's how to draw Chebucto, in its simplest form.



Here are some tiles with Chebucto. It's nice with a final line (or two) from point to point on either side of the pattern. Doesn't it go nicely beside Diamond Panes?! The second tile shows several of the variations possible.
Tangles: Bateek, Chebucto, Demi, Diamond Panes, Prestwood, Xyp
Tangles: Beadlines, Black Pearls, Chebucto

12 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I think this is going to be one of my favourite tangles! I love how you've worked out how to produce such a neat, entwined effect with such simple steps.

    It's sort of like Celtic but I think I'll find Chebucto much easier because I'm not too good yet at drawing evenly-spaced curves. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is actually a design that's used on some sgraffito pottery made in Bulgaria in the 12th to 14th centuries - now again being made by many artists. The artist of this site:
      http://sgrafito-keramika.eu/en/index.html
      showed us this summer how to create a very similar design, in a very similar way (without the initial guide-dots).

      Delete
    2. Shapes and patterns are common throughout history, and will be done in various places by various peoples. I'm not at all surprised that you've seen this one elsewhere! I noticed it, liked it, figured out how to draw it with some simple steps, and shared it.

      Delete
  2. love this one! so many possibilities! classic yet unexpected! Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. What a great deconstruction. Can't wait to play with this one. Starting with the dots will definitely help me. My diamonds are often very cattywampus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was tricky to get at first but after I looked at your instructions again it came together quickly. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great Tangle Margaret! I love the way it is so versatile, bet you used your double pencil string on the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOhh Ahh! Yes a goodie!

    Word Ver: zatualeg

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pattern! I live in Halifax, so this means something to me. Thank you for the mention of Chebucto Coffee and posting that beautiful picture of the Halifax Harbour. I am wondering, does your daughter do any of this type of drawing, zen-doodle, zentangle, etc. I am looking to meet somebody to practice zentangle/ZIAs. Again, thank you for the mention of my City.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ja-nice. My daughter is not involved in Zentangle, and in any case she now lives in Vancouver! I've checked the lists on zentangle.com and it seems there are not yet any Certified Zentangle Teachers in the maritime provinces. If you ever go to the US, there are a great many CZTs in New England; perhaps you could connect with one of them. Your library may have "Totally Tangled", a really good introductory book.

      Delete