Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Shades of Gray

I've been having fun with CZT Sonya Yencer's "Shades of Gray" idea to use pencil for some of the tangles. She demonstrates this technique using the tangle Jetties, so that's what I used for my first attempt.

This technique can be used with other tangles of course, and next I tried it with Aquafleur, one of many favorite tangles. I wonder if it doesn't work quite as well because of the Aura around Aquafleur, but I love Aquafleur with an aura!

I wanted to try it with a 'border' tangle and did it with Skye, a tangle I deconstructed a little while ago.

Ginili, from Randi Wynne-Parry, also works very nicely!

Molygon works alright but I think the black lines are too heavy. The details in Jetties also add a lot. Perhaps if details were added to Molygon?

As I typed that I thought, "Yes. I really should try adding details to Molygon." So, what do you think? Better with details or better without?

Sonya has a project kit available on Etsy through Acadia Laser Creations. It comes with clear instructions and all the tools you need to do this. If you're interested, you can see it in Jenny Perruzzi's shop here.

10 comments:

  1. These tiles are amazing, Ginili and Skye tiles are wonderful. As for Molygon I definitely prefer them filled with a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jetties, wouldn't you know, is a Mac n cheese tangle for me! And of all your beautiful examples, it is the most satisfactory. Just between you and me, I cannot see why I would need a kit to learn to do this. I must be missing something. BUT I love the technique and when I try it out, it may become obvious why I might need tutoring. The Etsy sight you list does not appear to be up and running right now. Thanks again for heading me in another new direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting isn't it, our favorites and not-so? I almost never draw Jetties. Although I probably would have figured out something similar, it was nice to have Sonya's instructions. And there is a tool in the kit I'd never heard of before!

      Delete
  3. I would very much like a kit. I definitely need instructions 😋 I like the molygon plain, it looks like a fresh bowl of peaches 🍑

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe cashews?! That's one vote each for filled or empty.
      You'll need to go to the Etsy site to purchase a kit; I don't sell them.

      Delete
    2. Got my kit, can't wait to try it out😃😃😃

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have me intrigued with the new tool but, so sad, shop is "on break". My vote is for the filled in Molygon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess this could be done with a light grey pen as well as pencil. Loved the Jetties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With pen you wouldn't get the fuzzy, foggy look though, which is part of the lovely effect.

      Delete